How to Use a Nebulizer
Vertisis Custom Pharmacy is invested in the health and wellbeing of our patients and we are happy to offer videos and instructions on how to properly use and administer our products.
The video above provides detailed information on how to properly and safely use a nebulizer. Note that these instructions are not a substitute for professional advice from a qualified physician or healthcare provider.
- Always wash your hands before setting up your nebulizer.
- Place the nebulizer on a hard surface such as a table or countertop.
- Plug the nebulizer into an electrical outlet.
- Make sure the vents on either side of the unit are not blocked to allow necessary airflow into the compressor.
- Connect one end of the tubing to the compressor, and the other end of the tubing to the bottom of the medication cup.
- Open the medication cup by twisting the lid, and add the medication prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- Make sure you add the medication along the side and not down the center of the cup.
- Replace the top on the medication cup.
- Then connect either a mouthpiece, or a mask attachment to the cup.
- Do not lay the medication cup on its side; this will cause the medication to spill.
- You are now ready to begin your treatment.
- To begin your treatment, turn the power button to the "on" position.
- The nebulizer will turn the medication into a mist.
- Place the mouthpiece in your mouth, OR if you are using a mask, place the mask over your nose and mouth.
- Be sure to sit upright and remain relaxed.
- It is important to breathe through your mouth, and not through your nose; this will ensure that the medication gets into your lungs.
- Take 2 or 3 deep breaths in between each normal breath.
- If you must stop before completing the entire treatment, turn off the compressor.
- You will notice a sputtering sound and will no longer be able to see the mist when the treatment is complete.
- It is ok if there are a few drops of medicine still in the cup.
- When your treatment is complete, turn off the nebulizer by turning the power switch to the "off" position, then unplug the unit.
- Disconnect the mask or mouthpiece and disassemble the medication cup.
- Do not clean or rinse the tubing.
- Rinse all other components with warm water and lay aside to air dry away from direct sunlight.
- Remember to check your nebulizer's air filter often.
- Change out the filter regularly depending on how many treatments you do each day.
- If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact your healthcare provider.