How to Open and Aseptically Draw Medications
Vertisis Custom Pharmacy is invested in the health and wellbeing of our patents and we are happy to offer videos and instructions on how to properly use and administer our products.
The video above provides detailed information on how to open and aseptically draw medications. Note that these instructions are not a substitute for professional advice from a qualified physician or healthcare provider.
- Wash and dry your hands thoroughly. Before handling any of the injection supplies, make sure your hands have been properly sanitized.
- Do not use open or damaged syringes. Immediately discard any and all opened, used, or damaged syringe needles.
- Use the correct dosage. Always use the exact dosage that you have been prescribed.
- Keep the needle clean. To prevent any contamination, do not allow the needle to touch anything other than the medicine vial.
- Seek professional advice. If you are unsure about any part of the injection procedure, contact your pharmacist or authorized health care provider.
- Remove the cap from the medicine vial. Remove the cap and clean the rubber stopper with an alcohol swab.
- Check syringe(s). Check the package contain the syringe. If opened or damaged, discard immediately and choose another.
- Remove the syringe cover and draw air into the barrel. Remove the cover from the syringe and pull back on the plunger to draw air into the barrel. Fill to the same volume as the medication dose you will be using.
- Insert the needle into the vial and infuse air. With the vial on a flat surface, insert the needle into the rubber center and push the plunger to expel the air into the vial.
- Hold the vial upside down with needle. With the needle still in the vial, turn it upside down. Ensure the needle tip remains covered by the medication in the vial.
- Draw medication. While still holding the vial upside down, pull back on the plunger to draw the liquid into the syringe, ensuring you draw the correct dose.
- Remove any air bubbles. Check for air bubbles by tapping the side of the syringe. Depress the plunger slightly to expel any air.
- Confirm dosage and remove syringe. Double check you have the right dose of liquid in the syringe then remove the needle from the vial.
When finished, discard syringe(s) in the proper receptacle and store or discard unused medications as indicated.